Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Signage


Stand at street level facing your center and ask yourself the following:
  • Can I see my main sign from the road?
  • Is there anything blocking the view of my main sign from all directions?
  • Can drivers see my sign from at least 1/4 mile away?
  • Is my sign simple and clear enough for a driver to understand as they go by?
  • Does my building have any signage to support my main street sign?
This seems pretty obvious but at least 50% of the centers I visit have weak street level visibility and branding.

Here are some examples of what I've seen:
  • Signs blocked by bushes
  • Signs blocked by cars
  • Signs that are too low
  • Signs with letters too small to be seen from a car
  • Lighted signs that are not lit
  • Broken or faded signs
  • Old "event" banners (Now Open, Summer Camp, etc...)
Here are a couple of things to do:
  • Take down old banners with dated messaging. "Now Open" is not good if you have been open for 5 years.
  • Clean all of your existing signs. First impressions are important. Does a dirty sign make you think "great place for my child"?
  • Replace any broken or faded signs inside and out. I'd rather you have no sign. A missing sign may mean that a new one is on the way. A broken sign says "I don't care."
  • Move anything that blocks it from all sides. Go do this right now!!!!
  • Change the message twice a week if you have a sign with removable letters. Drivers like to read things, give them something to think about. Make your sign a "visual destination" every time they drive by.
  • Make sure your building has at least your name on the front to support your street sign. Don't lose an opportunity to get your name out there!
  • Make sure your sign is simple enough to be read by someone at "driving speed". A fancy sign may not be a better sign!
I know you're thinking "thanks for nothing Mo" but trust me on this one. Street level visibility is step #1 in getting new folks to realize that you exist. If they can't see you, they can't meet and love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment